What's the difference to surface touchpack SDK

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM
Why i should use blake.nui or what's the advantages compared to surface touchpack? Is it possible to use your SDK with touchpack or surface SDK? bernhard
Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Bernhard,

Good questions.

The Surface TouchPack is a collection of end-user applications for a multi-touch computer. There is no SDK associated with Surface TouchPack. I have heard of people linking against assemblies distributed with the TouchPack, but that is technically against the license and you cannot redistribute those assemblies.

Blake.NUI is designed to be used in multi-touch NUI applications in general but especially to augment Surface SDK and Surface Toolkit. (Surface SDK targets the Microsoft Surface device while Surface Toolkit targets Windows 7 computers.)

For example, the core Blake.NUI project does not depend upon either Surface SDK or Surface Toolkit. It could be used in any WPF application, including ones that use provide custom multi-touch input to WPF 4 or Win7. The Blake.NUI.Surface and Blake.NUI.SurfaceToolkit provide a few extensions for the core Blake.NUI project that allow you to use it with those respective SDKs.

Blake.NUI does not replace the role of Surface SDK/Toolkit but focuses on going beyond what it provides and helping you create better NUIs in less time.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:04 AM
Is your SDK already in use, or did you test it already with a multitouch device?
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2010 at 8:07 AM

It is a combination of several components that have been used in production applications. They've all been tested on multitouch devices. See my MIX10 presentation to see how some components were used in my NaturalShow application.

http://live.visitmix.com/MIX10/Sessions/EX18

What are you looking to do?

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM
I think this toolkit is legal to use (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=801907a7-b2dd-4e63-9ff3-8a2e63932a74), but you are also right i also know some people who reflected and referenced the dlls which were publish with the first release of the window7 touch pack applications.
Jul 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM
You wrote in the project description that you try to create some controls, do you have already some controls/ideas in the pipe, maybe you can explain me your roadmap in more detail. I want to know this becuase i won't spend my time to a project which will die after some changesets. bernhard
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2010 at 3:33 PM

This project won't "die" after a few changesets. I'm using it as a part of my day-to-day work projects. As I add to it and expand it I will be pushing new features and controls to the CodePlex source repository.

I don't have a solid roadmap at the moment, aside from the controls that I already checked-in. I do have some other code from other projects I've worked on that I need to add to this one. You should see that next week.

I'm also working on another blog post about how to use the ZoomCanvas and am updating the sample project to show how it works.