Book Samples and Windows 8 RTM

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Hi,

I am following the samples book (Natural User Interfaces in .Net) but running them on windows 8 I have runtime errors.

I read this http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sk/surfaceappdevelopment/thread/82cf4ad7-2b7d-43f8-a93b-4b78199ec9d1 and I changed the surfaceWindows for Windows as they suggested but anyway I got the runtime errors trying to initialize.

How can I continue to reading the samples book and the book itself on Windows 8?

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2012 at 4:50 AM

Hi dea398,

Thanks for buying my book!

I have not run my sample code on Windows 8 RTM. The advice on that thread is good (and I know and trust all those who gave answers there). If you still have an error maybe you can elaborate with details on the exception and stack trace and which sample you're running.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Hi Joshb

I realized that all your samples codes, are made on Surface SDK 1.5. So your sample codes runs on Windows 8 RTM, but If I follow the steps on your book with the Surface SDK 2.0 (because the SDK 1.5 was just a beta, there is no version 1.5 available for downloading) I got the errors I mentioned at the beginning.

Running your sample codes I can see, that they run a little buggy on Windows 8 RTM, all of them, but they works, but I am using the SDK 2.0 (following the steps on your book that runs so good in windows 7 with the SDK 2.0) they don't work on Windows 8.

Do you know if I can do something about it? I really need to make it work!

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2012 at 4:54 AM

If the samples you have are linked against SDK 1.5 then they are old. Try these: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7911268/Blake_NUI_SampleCode.zip

(Chapter number may not be the same as the latest MEAP.)

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Yes! You were right. I was not the current samples.

Anyway I still have the same problem, so they are using the SDK 2.0 they launched runtime errors. But the old one (with SDK 1.5) no, but they run a little buggy.

do you work around this before? Surface SDK 2.0 is awesome, and it is too sad we cannot use it on Windows 8, being windows 8 a more NUI Operating System.

What do you suggest to make it work?

Coordinator
Aug 24, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Well again, I have not run the samples on Windows 8. What errors are you getting? Did you try switching SurfaceWindow to just Window in the latest samples?

I don't have any information about future plans for the Surface SDK or Windows 8 support. I suspect that Microsoft might recommend, if you must run on Windows 8, to focus on the WinRT applications rather than desktop applications. If your project is for a paying client or your employer, it might be best to stick with known, supported solutions unless they have a really compelling reason and agree to go with an unsupported approach.